How to Maintain a monitor lizard at home
Some reptile hobbyists love pet lizards because they are quite exotic. Pet monitor lizards are also relatives of dragons. This pet monitor lizard is called a pet lizard water in Sundanese language, a pet monitor lizard called bayawak. This animal can reach a weight of more than 20 kg and its length can reach from the mouth to the tip of the tail can be up to 2 meters.
Pet lizard is one type of reptile that is now widely cultivated, both for hobbies and business. This developer of reptile lizards needs special tips to be successful. Besides there are many factors which of course must be really considered, especially for children of pet monitor lizards who are not even one year old.
As for how to treat it at home, among others, as follows, How to Maintain a monitor lizard at home.
1. Make sure you buy small pet monitor lizards because small pet monitor lizards are not too fierce and usually small pet monitor lizards can be tame.
2. Water cages that are still small can use a long aquarium 3 times longer than the size of a pet monitor lizard. In a cage containing a place to eat low places and hiding places and closed the aquarium there is an air vent and if it rains turn on the lights are yellow .
3. Feeding small pet monitor lizards can be fed in the form of crickets, grasshoppers, small fish, chicken meat that has been flushed, or green toads. If it is large, fish, mice, chicken meat and green frogs can be given. big.
4. Give Crickets
It is common for crickets to be used as food for animals that use it to feed birds and many more are to feed pet monitor lizards.
Crickets have high protein and are useful for the growth of pet monitor lizards. In addition, the glutathione (GSH) content in crickets can also be used as a natural anti-oxidant for pet monitor lizards. For portions of crickets given alone depending on the size and age of the pet lizard.
For pet monitor lizards that are less than 30 cm long, or called baby animals, pet lizards, we can feed 3 crickets every day and for pet monitor lizards that have exceeded 30 cm we can feed 10-15 crickets every day.
5. Give Lizards
Lizard with the Latin name Cosymbolutos platyurus is known as an annoying animal because of its presence in our home which usually causes an unpleasant odor from the lizard’s excrement.
But apparently this one animal can be used as pet food for monitor lizards. Usually the portion goes back to the size of a pet monitor lizard for less than 30 cm enough to give a small size lizard every other day. But for pet monitor lizards that are more than 30 cm long we have to feed 1 large size lizard for 1 day or a large lizard for every two days.
6. Give Mice
A name that is no stranger to pet lizard lovers, but it will sound familiar to those of you who are just looking after pet lizard. Mice or Latin names (Mus musculus) are small mice that we usually encounter in our homes as bullies or pests, but this one animal is quite effective as food for pet monitor lizards. For its own portion, pet lizards of more than 30 cm in size require about one mouse for two days.
7. For animal feed, pet lizards are fed every 3 days and given full food if fed daily pet lizard can be overweight and can be obese
8. For daily maintenance, pet lizard can be dried in her normal morning between 7 to 10 hours and dry in 30 minutes or up to 60 minutes